top of page

Hecate Statue Project

While not part of the 30 Days project, I thought I'd keep this blog active with other things that I do in her honor. Click here to see the 30 Days of Devotion to the Goddess Hecate

This is a project I did recently, making a Hecate devotional centerpiece. This will go in my shop as part of my shrine to the Goddess.


  1. Supplies

  2. Glue gun

  3. Glue sticks

  4. Rubber Bands

  5. Wooden Dowel

  6. Cheesecloth

  7. Primer

  8. Hemp

  9. Three zip ties

  10. Stone fleck paint

  11. Wood for base

  12. Decorations - I used Christmas light bulbs to serve as torches, a small key charm, a dagger I carved from a match stick, and a coil of rope from some hemp string. I then picked up a small brass candle stick to act as a chalice, a boot knife, and a large key.

  13. Images - I used license-free images from Wikicommons.


Start by removing all the clothes, and putting the hair up in a ponytail. Then take scissors and cut off the hair bluntly just past the rubber band. Using a glue gun, carefully cover the ponytail and the head with the melted glue. As it cools I used my fingers to shape the hair into a Grecian style hairdo. Something that may be found on a museum statue.


Next, I wrapped the cheesecloth around the Barbies in a similar Grecian style. I used a bit of braided hemp to tie around the waist. Next, I take a zip tie through the belt and attach it to a dowel. I attached all three dolls to the dowel to replicate Hecate in her tri-form. I left the dowel out a bit at the base so I could use it to mount the statue to the box for decoration and to the stand at the end of the project.




Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson


For the small dagger in one of the form's hands, I took a large fireplace match, carved a small handle space in it, and shaped the point for the knife edge. For the rope, I just coiled the string around my fingers to make it look like a big bunch of rope. The charm didn't require any work. I used a bit of hot glue on each. After I was happy with the appearance of the look, I sprayed the entire statue with primer. After the primer dries I start layering the stone fleck paint onto the figure. I ended up doing about 3-4 coats of the stone paint, including the base.


While the paint dries I started working on the display case. Display cases can be pretty pricey. With three dolls together, I needed one that was over 12 inches tall and over nine inches wide. A case that holds a football was 59.00 at Michael's. After weighing a few options I decided to use a 10-gallon fish tank, which only cost about 12.00 brand new. The tank came with a cardboard cover on the top. I used that to create a back for the case.


For the background, I thought that to see all three sides, it made sense to put a mirror on the back. I downloaded some free images and printed them out in different sizes. Using watered-down white school glue I made a decoupage of the images and attached the mirror to the center. It takes about 24 hours to dry completely.


After that was complete, I placed the wood block into the bottom (which is the side, the opening on the back) of the aquarium. I applied a bit of epoxy into a hole drilled in the center and put the dowel into the block. After she dried, I added the decoration on the base of the block and attached the back.


I think it turned out pretty well.






This is her complete. I really love the way the back turned out.

Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson






Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Chalice, background, and key.




Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Key and Dagger.


Photo Credit - Renee Sosanna Olson

Rope





Originally published on Blogger - 8/8/14 8:00 AM

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page